With all the antibiotics found in todayís meat products, as well as things such as fillers, additives, and chemicals, many individuals are considering making the switch to a vegan diet.
Of course, when making any kind of change, all aspects of that change need exploring. There are many healthy aspects of a vegan diet.
* In earlier days, vegan diets consisted of only vegetables. This is not the case today, however. Vegan diets now include meat-free items such as veggie burgers and veggie hot dogs. Some companies are now developing vegetarian products such as "steak strips" or "chicken nuggets."
* Going out to eat for a vegetarian used to be a cause for concern. Variety was non-existent or limited at best. Today, however, almost every restaurant has a complete vegan menu from which to choose.
* Studies have shown that eating a diet that is high in animal fats can lead to several diseases such as a higher risk of cancer and diabetes. Vegan diets exclude animal by-products, thereby eliminating these risks.
* Articles have appeared showing that eating a diet that is based on plants can reduce the risk and possibly even reverse progression of chronic illnesses.
* Vegan diets have been shown to reduce cholesterol.
* Vegan diets can be high in protein through eating foods such as nuts and beans.
* Fiber is an extra-added bonus of the vegan diet as many vegetables are naturally high in fiber.
* Another positive aspect of a vegan diet is the mental health benefit, so to speak. Vegans do not use or wear anything that is based on an animal by-product. For example, a true vegan does not purchase leather, some types of makeup and fur. This gives a vegan the feeling that they are positively contributing to a cause.
* Lower blood pressure, risk of heart disease, and lower cholesterol are all healthy side effects of a vegan diet.
* Vitamins such as C and E as well as magnesium, iron and folic acid are found in plant-based foods in a vegan diet.
* Lower saturated fat, a lower obesity rate, and fewer calories are also benefits of a vegan diet.
As you can see, a plant-based vegan diet has many benefits for your health. Vegan diets also have the added bonus of variety. There are so many combinations of soy-based products and vegetables as well as meat-like foods such as veggie patties to keep you healthy and satisfied in your vegan endeavors.